Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Friday, October 22, 2004

Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog! This is my first attempt at blogging, and I am not sure that I have enough to say to merit having one. But time will tell.

A little about myself. I am a Texan, an alumnus of Rice University and the University of Houston Law Center, and a licensed Anglican lay preacher in the diocese of Fort Worth. I hold a Master of Theological Studies degree from Texas Christian University and am presently a doctoral student in the department of New Testament and Early Christian Literature at the University of Chicago. I passed my exams last spring and have returned to my hometown in order to write my dissertation. While I work on that project I am working as a ministry intern at St Vincent's Cathedral Church, where I also teach religion to middle schoolers. In the midst of all this I am also attempting to discern whether or not I have a call to ordained ministry in this Anglican diocese.

Stay tuned for more substantive posts in the future!

3 Comments:

Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Hi Randall Ward Go get your paycheck.

POP

2:34 PM  
Blogger Julian said...

Yay, you have a blog! You can post about absolutely anything you want on a blog (as long as it's ethical and you're OK with it being public) so I doubt you'll run out of things to say. And if you need help finding topics... just call Francesco up!

Way to go!

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy, I am a mere lay person, but I feel compelled to comment on your creed remarks. I have always loved the Nicene Creed, and although it has been nearly 15 years since I have belonged to a church that uses it regularly, it is the only one I have committed to heart.

But don't you think it is a little closed to say it is the only creed worth saying? I think the interesting thing about other variations is that they make me really meditate on what it is that we Christians hold on to.

The most meaningful experience I can remember having with any version of a Christian creed was during my confirmation class, when I was confirmed in the Catholic tradition. The priest leading the confirmation classes shared this one with us. YOu may remember it from visiting us- it was on the fridge from 1988 until the paper literally fell apart.

Give it a whirl:

In Vincent Donovan’s book, Christianity Rediscovered: An Epistle from the Masai, is the following African creed:



“We believe in the one High God, who out of love created the beautiful world and everything good in it. He created man and wanted man to be happy in the world. God loves the world and every nation and tribe on the earth. We have known this High God in the darkness, and now we know him in the light. God promised in the book of his word, the Bible, that he would save the world and all the nations and tribes.



We believe that God made good his promise by sending his son, Jesus Christ, a man in the flesh, a Jew by tribe, born poor in a little village, who left his home and was always on safari doing good, curing people by the power of God, teaching about God and man, showing that the meaning of religion is love. He was rejected by his people, tortured and nailed hands and feet to a cross and died, He lay buried in the grave, but the hyenas did not touch him, and on the third day, he rose from the grave. He ascended to the skies. He is the Lord.



We believe that all our sins are forgiven through him. All who have faith in him must be sorry for their sins, be baptized in the Holy Spirit of God, live the rules of love and share the bread together in love, to announce the good news to others until Jesus comes again. We are waiting for him. He is alive. He lives. This we believe. Amen.”


(Yes, I know it does not really address the Holy Spirit)

Much Love- The liberal friend that tries to keep you honest- Becky Jo

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats