Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Benefits of "The ESV Study Bible"--the Cadillac of Study Bibles



This brief interview with the Rev. Dr. J.I. Packer addresses the benefits of The ESV Study Bible. (Dr. Packer is the theological editor of this study Bible.) The English Standard Version is the English-language Bible that I strongly recommend to those who ask, and I have already given The ESV Study Bible as a gift to some of my finest theology students at St. Vincent's School. It is simply the best study Bible on the market. Order your own copy today. You won't regret it!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Jill C. said...

I like the ESV as well. Good to know that both you and Dr. Packer recommend it! :)

10:31 PM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Pick up the study Bible version of the ESV, if you haven't already, Jill. It is well worth it.

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Father, thank you for this recommendation. I have been looking for a new Bible. I will try this. Additionally, what is the name of the book and its author, that you used as a guild for the series you presented on "The Revelation of St. John". Or as my mother would say "The Book of John"

Rudy

9:15 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Rudy, the best book on Revelation I can recommend for you would be M. Eugene Boring's "Revelation" commentary in the Interpretation series.

Enjoy!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Soul Deep said...

I have used my ESV Study Bible exclusively since November of '08 (right around the time it was put out by Crossway). It is, far and away, the best one I've ever used. Most highly recommended!!!

4:38 AM  
Blogger Robin G. Jordan said...

While I use the ESV myself, I find that the university students and recent college graduates--the primary ministry focus group of the church with which I am sojourning have difficulty with its language. The ESV is written for people with a 10th grade or higher reading level. The ministry focus group of my church prefer tranlations of the Bible like the NIV that are written for people with an 8th grade reading level. I have found this ministry focus group does not recognize words that I take for granted as part of my everyday vocabulary. They definitely have problems with the Authorized Version.

While I use the ESV, the American Standard Version (recommended by the late Reginald Fuller), and other translations in my own personal Bible study and sermon preparation, I use the more easily understood translations in leading or coleading Bible study groups.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Mark D. said...

But no apocrypha/deuterocanonical books, so it is incomplete. And its notes have a Calvinist bent without similar attention paid to the Catholic position regarding some issues (sacraments, etc.).

Not the worst study bible on the market by any means -- and I am a fan of J.I. Packer. If the notes were modified a bit, and if the apocrypha was included, it would be a terrific study bible.

1:36 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

True enough on both counts, Mark. But I have to be honest and say that I have not consulted the footnotes of the three apocrypha-friendly study Bibles I presently own for its notes on one of the apocryphal books in more than a decade. I can't imagine a great many other Christians would be seriously hampered by the lack of notes on those seldom-read books either. (BTW ESV does have a translation of the apocryphal books available now, its just not in this study Bible.)

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear pastor,

Genuinely curious how this translation is received and in particular how this study edition with the emphasis for male-only emphasis ministers and teachers plays out in an Anglican church where women are ordained. Also curious how and this translation and study notes, especially the various notes on Ethics notes with the unabashed focus on complementarianism are welcomed in the Anglican Communion.

William

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats