Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Making posts without signing on to Blogger

You don't need to sign up for Blogger to make a comment here now. Just click on "annoymous" on the first comment window that pops up. Then type your response in the new window that will come up. If you want to, you can tell me who you are in the body of your message. But if you want to remain incognito, that is fine too!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Randall, Jay here. This blog is well on its way to being not only a valuable resource for interested web surfers but a convenient means for your friends around the nation and globe to keep tabs on your activities.

I know you're not the Anglican Dear Abby, Randall, but I have a situation in my church with which I've been uncomfortable for some time and with which you are somewhat familiar. I welcome your help and that of anyone who cares to post thoughtful observations and advice. I'm an RC. My priest is in the habit of omitting the Nicene Creed from the Mass when he feels we're running low on time. He did this today and substituted (after the petitions) what he called a "creed in action." What this turned out to be was the assembly's filling out of information cards upon which we wrote our names, addresses, phone numbers, and whether or not we currently have our collection envelopes mailed to our homes. I said the creed under my breath while the priest offered unnecessary instructions on filling out the cards. But I knew my whispers were a poor substitute for confessing the faith of the church in one voice with my assembled sisters and brothers in Christ.

At this point I think I'm unable to soberly discern the genuine theological, pastoral, and liturgical issues due to my own longstanding irritation with this priest and his celebration of the mass. I must also admit that I have been less than charitable toward this priest in thought and word for quite some time. Assuming I am not going to leave this parish, does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, or reflections? -Jay

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats