Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

An Important Early Step in "the Process"

Just a bit of personal news: Last night the vestry at St. Vincent's Cathedral, my home parish, endorsed my application for admission to postulancy. I was honored by their confidence in my meager abilities and by their kind words of support. My sincere thanks to any vestry members who may stop by to read my humble blog.

As some of you may know, I first began to sense a call to ordained ministry more than eight years ago. But my long sojourn in a doctoral program and temporary residence in the doctrinally unsound diocese of Chicago meant waiting until I returned home to Texas before formally beginning to "discern" whether or not I am called to the priestly office. I rejoice that the formal process is now underway. Thanks to all my friends for the prayers and support.

Next up--the diocesan Commission on Ministry!!

13 Comments:

Blogger John J. O'Sullivan™ said...

Congratulations and good luck! I look forward to reading about your process, as I will most likely be going through the same in November.

With prayers...

-j

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes on a smooth process Randall. Hope to see you in Wisconsin next fall.

Chad

9:54 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Ah, yes. This is the point where I recently dropped the process. Congratulations and good luck to you. ECUSA needs all the Randall Fosters and J. J. O'Sullivans and Lee Nelsons it can get if I wants to survive.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randall, Jay here.

My heartfelt congratulations on your success, although that's quite enough about your "meager" abilities. There's nothing meager about them. And if anybody from the vestry is reading, you can quote me on that.

over and out,
Jay

5:02 PM  
Blogger Julian said...

Yeah Randall, I agree with Jay. Don't let us hear you use the word "meager" about your abilities unless you mean your abilities in chemical engineering, parachuting, or glass blowing.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Thanks very much, my friends. But glass blowing, mmmm ... that sounds interesting!

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Congratulations indeed! Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Good luck and wise choosing for the rest of your journey.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Thanks for the nice comment about our diocese.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Thanks for dropping by, Scott. I am sorry if you found my comment on Chicago to be hurtful. "Unsound doctrine" was,however, typical of my own experience of the diocese of Chicago. The Church of the Ascension was the only parish I visited in the city of Chicago where I felt comfortable that I would never hear overt heresy or a direct challenge to the traditional ethics of the Church taught from the pulpit. (St. John's Naperville was also fine, but it was too far away.) St Paul and the Redeemer and Brent House in Hyde Park seem quite symptomatic of much that goes on in the diocese of Chicago to me. (I have heard key articles of the Nicene creed--such as the divinity of Christ--expressly denied during sermons at both of these institutions.) Hence my comment about a "doctrinally unsound" diocese. Obviously there are "sound" parishoners and priests remaining the diocese, but as a whole I did not find it a bastion of orthodoxy. There is, of course, no need to even touch on the glaring differences in teachings on sexual ethics between my own diocese (which I consider "doctrinally sound")and those of the leadership of the diocese of Chicago. I hope this clarifies my remark. God bless, sir.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I just thought it was a bit general to characterize the diocese as doctrinally unsound. Best wishes on your Process!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Jacob Hicks said...

Congratulations, prayers and best wishes, Randall.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Thanks again, Francesco. May it please God to help Pope Benedict and the leaders of classical Anglicanism to heal the breach between our traditions. I would very much like to be a brother priest with you in a reunited Church, sir. (If it should please God to call both of us to that office, of course.) Pax.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats