Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Friday, August 12, 2005

New Middle School Philosophy Course



As you may know, I am teaching a great deal more at St. Vincent's Cathedral School's middle school this year than I did last year. I will be teaching 8th grade American History and Latin II, and combined classes of 7th and 8th graders for Ethics and Introduction to Philosophy. I will also be teaching Old Testament and World Religions to the 6th graders. I am particularly excited about the new Philosophy course I have designed. We are using Jostein Gaarder's entertaining novel Sophie's World as our textbook. I recommend it for all readers 13 and up (though Gaarder displays a "philosophy is better than religion" bias at times). You can view the syllabus here.

The image left is Francesca's St. Augustine.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That showed up at our house a couple of years ago in paperback form. We are keeping it. It is so much more accessible than any of the intro to philosophy books I ever encountered.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Caelius said...

A. I like the new picture.

B. Your philosophy course blows away anything I ever was taught in middle school. I am very jealous of your students.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Randall, that course looks great! I know that the kids are going to enjoy it and that SVCS is glad to have you around. Just make sure that you get that dissertation done as well!
SWJones+

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats