Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Tagged!

Ma Beck has "tagged" me with the following question: "Who are the first five people you'd like to see in Heaven?" She adds that I should "Assume the Queen of Heaven herself is already with you." I will, of course, further assume that our Lord Jesus is already with us as well (surely He would top the list of everyone who reads this blog!).

At first I thought I would give joke answers to this question, but that just didn't fit my mood this morning. For whatever reason, I took the task seriously. So these really are the saints in glory that--as of today--I would most like to meet and speak with on Day One (not funny, but from the heart):

St. Augustine of Hippo--It is difficult to overestimate the impact of Augustine's Confessions on my development as a Christian. I simply must thank him, if given the chance.

C.S. Lewis--I first read Mere Christianity a few weeks after my baptism in 1990, then quickly read the "usual suspects" on Lewis' bibliography. No further explanation is necessary, I am sure.

St. Thomas Becket--I made my first confession following baptism in the undercroft of Canterbury Cathedral. As I did so I felt strongly that St. Thomas was praying for me. Since that day I have felt a special connection to "the holy, blissful martyr" and have come to think of him as my patron. I want to thank him for the inspiration his bold witness even unto death has been to me and for his many prayers on my behalf.

St. Anselm--"Faith seeking understanding." Cur Deus Homo? went straight to my heart. 'Nuf said.

St. Gregory the Great--What a man! This "servant of the servants of God" is the very paradigm of a minister of Jesus Christ, giving all that he had--intellectually, spiritually, and physically--for God's people. Not to mention his sending of Augustine of Canterbury on his fateful mission to England. Thank you, blessed Gregory.

As I said--not funny. But I now tag the Common Anglican, Fr. Nelson and Fr. Chris Cantrell with the same question (you worthy gentlemen can certainly be funny, if you wish). Enjoy!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Tex,
Great list!
I thought about including Jesus in my list, but Heaven being Jesus' House, and Jesus being True God, I didn't know if he fit the 'human' category. ;)
Ohhh, C.S. Lewis!
How could I have left him out?!
Ooooh, ooooh, and J.R.R. Tolkien!

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the challenge.
Of course, Our Lord and our Lady and then in the following Order.
St Josemaria, my spiritual father.
St Catherine of Siena, my patron saint.
John Paul the Great,
St Thomas Aquinas: two great scholors of the Roman Catholic church! :D

9:14 PM  
Blogger Goatboy said...

Greetings. I have a blog that is fairly new. On it, amongst other things, I intend to pose questions to the wider world on subjects that I am interested in but know little about. One of those subjects is the Bible. I am not a religious fellow but I am very interested in the mindset of people who are. Over the coming weeks I intend to ask a few open ended questions on a separate blog, linked to my main blog. I would be glad of your input. Obviously, this is quite presumptuous of me; after all you don't even know me. But hey, isn't that what all this blog stuff is about? Anyway, if you're interested, you might like to visit my blog - http://batian78.blogspot.com/ or just follow this link to a question I have posed in a previous post - http://batian78ramblings.blogspot.com/2005/12/question.html - if not then I won't bother you again. Thanks for your time.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the earnest hope that all five of these, as well as myself, will have made the cut...

1. Elijah
2. Buddy Holly
3. Dorothy Day
4. Thomas Paine
5. Francis of Assisi

Jay

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats