Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Friday, August 04, 2006

The Evolution of a Worshipper


I'm sure the "evolution" runs the other direction from time to time, but I know a dozen people who have come from "praise chorus" Evangelicalism to Ango-Catholicism. This image from cartoonchurch.com sums up that movement nicely. Hat tip to Whitehall.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julian said...

...but it's not very funny, is it?

2:41 PM  
Blogger Puckpan said...

I like it a lot. And it fits my evolution - except that before praise chorus (my 30s) I was agnostic from college on - and prior to college I was raised Episcopalian.

Also there was a period of heathenism in there.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Steve Hayes said...

The bits in the middle remind me of the hymn Thy hand, O God, has guided (English HymnalNo 545), especially the verse that says:

And we, shall we be faithless?
Shall hearts fail, hands hang down?
Shall we evade the conflict,
and cast away our crown?

But I didn't evolve, I just grew: From Evangelical Methodist in my early teens to Anglocatholic spike in my late teens to liturgical reformer in my 20s, charismatic Anglo-Catholic in my 30s to Orthodox in my 40s.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats