Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

RIP Henry Chadwick, Priest

From the NY Times:

The Very Rev. Henry Chadwick, an Anglican priest, professor, editor, translator and author whose historical voyages into early Christianity won praise for depth, insight and evenhandedness and helped shed light on modern religious problems, died Tuesday in Oxford, England. He was 87.

Fr. Chadwick was the author of the first book on the Patristric period that I ever read, and I first learned to love the Fathers through reading his works. Thank you, Father.

May Henry, priest, and all the faithful departed through the mercies of God rest in peace, and may light perpetual shine upon them. Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger William Tighe said...

Here is a sadly elegaic "ave atque vale" to Professor Chadwick, in the context of the situation of the Church of England today:

http://liturgicalnotes.blogspot.com/2008/06/dominus-illuminatio-mea.html

7:37 PM  
Blogger William Tighe said...

Let me try again:

http://liturgicalnotes.blogspot.com/2008/06/
dominus-illuminatio-mea.html

The author is my learned friend, Fr. John Hunwicke, Vicar of the Church of St. Thomas the Martyr (i.e., Thomas a Becket), Oxford.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats