Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Sermon on Jairus' Daughter and the Woman with the Flow of Blood

Clicking on the title of this post should take you to an audio of the sermon I preached a week and a half ago on Jairus' daughter and the woman with the flow of blood.

This is the first sermon I have ever preached on a Sunday for which I had neither a complete script nor fairly detailed outline. (I had only five bullet points jotted down in the final minutes before mass began, and I am not sure I ever looked at them while preaching.)

When I first began to preach at St. Vincent's I always spoke from a carefully written and edited script. But I find that as I have slowly begun to liberate myself from a prepared sermon text that our parishioners seem to be able more and more to find genuine meaning in my sermons. I know this is the Spirit's doing and not my own. I must learn to trust that God will make some use of my feeble efforts. I should preach the message my heart feels compelled to preach in the manner that I am being led to preach it, even if it makes people ask me if I used to be a Baptist! (I was baptized into the Anglican expression of being a Christian as an adult and never have been anything else, btw.) I pray the results will serve to feed the flock of Christ as He would have them nourished.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Father Foster! I can share this with an even greater audience to spread the Word!

Andy Turner

10:16 PM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Thanks, Andy. God bless!

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there and it was a wonderful sermon. I did not know that the sermon was prepared differently than previous ones. You have done a great job with your sermons from the very first one. This was a little "Baptist" but I find nothing wrong with that, in fact, I find a lot right with that. We are blessed to know you and to have you within our parish.

Rudy

7:05 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Thanks, Rudy. I appreciate the encouragement. It is an honor to know you and to minister with you at St. Vincent's.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats