Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

R.I.P. Susan Foster Carr: June 15, 1951 to Aug. 14, 2010

Last night at 5:31PM the Lord called my sister, Sue, home to His bosom after a battle with cancer.

Sue was discovered to have a very large brain tumor in May. A couple of days after surgery to remove the tumor she was surprisingly alert, fully conscious and surely in her right mind. And her mind had been at work on those questions every human being must ask themselves about life and its meaning. And their own mortality. The result? After more than twenty years of evading my every attempt to discuss matters of faith with her Sue surprised me and my father by asking --out of the Blue-- "What would I have to do to be baptised?" I nearly fell out of my chair! Sue had never given any indication of an interest in talking about the Faith before.

So I spent quite a bit of time presenting Sue with the Good News of our Savior and reminding her of the need for repentance and a firm commitment to follow Jesus as her Lord. When I had finished speaking Sue clearly and without hesitation professed faith in Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior. She was baptised in her hospital bed the next night with much of her family in attendance. It was my honor and joy to administer the Sacrament of initiation.

For a while it looked as if Sue might make a reasonable recovery. But that was not in the Lord's plans for her. I rejoice to know that my dear sister rests comfortably in the Lord's presence tonight. Your prayers for the repose of her soul and peace of mind for her family would be cherished.

A Requiem Eucharist will be celebrated for the repose of Sue's soul at St. Vincent's Cathedral on Wednesday night at 7PM.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Randall. May she rest in peace.

7:07 PM  
Blogger RMBruton said...

Randall,
Please accept my deepest sympathy.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Deo Gratias! This is an excellent account of the power of prayer and witness.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sorry that you didn't have more time with her here as a fellow Christian, but am so relieved that she accepted Christ. God is good!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Constance Walden said...

I was passing through and stopped to read your notes about your sister's passing. I'm so sorry about her sudden illness and death.

In Christ,
Constance V. Walden
underoneheadchrist@blogspot.com

4:02 PM  
Blogger Constance Walden said...

I read your posting about the passing of your sister. I'm so sorry about her sudden illness and death.

Constance V. Walden
underoneheadchrist@blogspot.com

4:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Randall, I hadn't been to your site in a while and saw this. Deepest sympathies on your loss, but praise God for her conversion! May light perpetual shine upon her!

Rob Kirby
Lubbock, TX

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats