Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

What Theologian Am I? Anselm, Apparently.


For those who enjoyed the "What is your theological world view?" quiz I linked last week, try this one: What theologian are you? I rather thought Augustine would come first for me, with Anselm in second place. But it turns out that I am more Anselmian than I thought. Cur Deus Homo, like Augustine's Confessions, immediately touched my heart and mind when I first read it years ago. I am rather surprised that Schleiermacher and Calvin ranked above 50% for me. Just for the record, I do not consider myself a devotee of either gentlemen. Take the quiz yourself here. My own results were as follows:

"You scored as Anselm. Anselm is the outstanding theologian of the medieval period. He sees man's primary problem as having failed to render unto God what we owe him, so God becomes man in Christ and gives God what he is due. You should read 'Cur Deus Homo?'

Anselm 100%
Augustine 87%
Karl Barth 67%
Friedrich Schleiermacher 67%
John Calvin 60%
Martin Luther 60%
Jonathan Edwards 53%
Jürgen Moltmann 47%
Charles Finney 47%
Paul Tillich 27%"Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure this will shock you, Randall:
Anselm is the outstanding theologian of the medieval period.He sees man's primary problem as having failed to render unto God what we owe him, so God becomes man in Christ and gives God what he is due. You should read 'Cur Deus Homo?'

Anselm 73%
Charles Finney 60%
Augustine 53%
John Calvin 53%
Jürgen Moltmann 53%
Karl Barth 40%
Paul Tillich 40%
Martin Luther 27%
Jonathan Edwards 27%
Friedrich Schleiermacher 20%
Becky Jo

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took the test as well, but as it concentrates on christian theologians only, it was limiting in the available responses. Many of the questions needed something other than a sliding scale to indicate my true responses.

Jürgen Moltmann 73%
Anselm 67%
Charles Finney 53%
Paul Tillich 40%
Karl Barth 33%
Augustine 33%
Martin Luther 33%
Friedrich Schleiermacher 20%
Jonathan Edwards 13%
John Calvin 13%

I lost the results last time I took it, so this is the second time around for me. I got a zero for one of the theologians last time, and Anselm dropped out of first place. If percentages mean anything, you can tell from mine that theology is not of primary importance in my life.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Interesting results from you both, my friends. I am glad you are both regular readers of the blog! And congratulations on your Anselmian status, BJ. Pax!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Julian said...

Karl Barth 80%
Anselm 73%
Jürgen Moltmann 60%
Augustine 53%
John Calvin 53%
Martin Luther 47%
Friedrich Schleiermacher 40%
Jonathan Edwards 33%
Charles Finney 33%
Paul Tillich 27%

As usual, the quiz is full of awkward overgeneralizations and probably doesn't give Augustine his due. But it did manage to register my lack of interest in Tillich...

12:55 PM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Not too surprising to me that you score highly on Barth. I can easily see you as "neo-orthodox," my friend. Thanks for sharing your results.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats