Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Exorcism via Hollywood

I don't know how many readers of this blog saw the film in the theatres, but one of the most thoughtful treatments of the supernatural I have seen in a Hollywood motion picture in recent years was the handling of demonic possession in this year's The Exorcism of Emily Rose. I commend it for your viewing when it comes out on DVD (though don't watch it late at night, unless you want a near sleepless night like the one I experienced after seeing a 10PM screeing last month!). There is an interesting interview with an exorcist in New York City discussing the film here. It is my hope that films like this one will reawaken Americans to the reality of the spiritual realm, both in its positive and negative aspects. Hat tip to Sacramentum Vitae.

1 Comments:

Blogger Caelius said...

I saw the film last night just after reading your recommendation. It's interesting that the story on which this is based took place in Wurzburg in Germany, one of the foci of the German witchhunts. I also discovered this account from the land of my own ancestors , which seems to describe the same phenomena in a different theological mileu.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats