Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Bishop Urwin at St. Vincent's

We have been blessed in recent days at St. Vincent's Cathedral with a visit by the Rt. Rev. Lindsay Urwin, bishop of Horsham, England. His see covers most of West Sussex, and he has episcope over more than 200 congregations. He also heads a school board with oversight over 160 parochial schools. Bishop Urwin is a professed brother of the Oratory of the Good Shepherd, a celibate dispersed religious order. He was made a founder member of the Archbishops of Canterbury and York’s College of Evangelists in 2000. His skill as an evangelist comes through practically every time he opens his mouth. Seldom have I met a clergyman who radiates love for Jesus Christ and His holy Church the way Bishop Urwin does.

Yesterday the bishop gave an inspiring talk at our diocesan conference on ministry to youth. He focused on the need to bring "the abiding Tradition" to teens within their contemporary context. Our goal ought to be to engender a sincere love for Holy Scripture and a genuine hunger for the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar, he reminded us, for these are things that will last. His talk was filled with helpful insights and a great deal of humor.

This morning the bishop confirmed several members of our parish, then gave two first-rate (and quite different) homilies at the 9 AM and 11:15 AM Masses. I have been remarkably impressed. The clergy of our diocese are certainly going to benefit from their time in retreat with Bishop Urwin this week.

I am especially grateful to this exemplary man of God for his kindness to my mother. As you know, Mom will be undergoing a mastectomy on Tuesday. Despite his busy schedule Bishop Urwin took the time to sit and talk with her in our chapel today. Then he annointed her brow and her hands in the most tender and moving administration of the Annointing of the Sick I have ever witnessed. Mom truly felt the comfort of the Holy Spirit under his hands today, and now says she doesn't want to wash! May God bless the good bishop, and grant the Anglican Communion many more shepherds like him.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy that your mother's annointment has brought her comfort- please let her know we will be praying for her successful surgery, and give both your parents our best- Becky Jo

9:11 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Thanks, Becky Jo. I will let Mom know. I hope you and your family are well. God bless.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Caritas said...

Randall- your mother is in our prayers.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Jacob Hicks said...

Bp. Lindsay is a very good thing. I worked during my university holidays at Chichester Church House and so encountered him a fair bit. He is quite possibly the most approachable clergyman I've encountered.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats