Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

A Little Personal News

Just a short note about what has been going on in my life during the last week:

First, last weekend I participated in our diocese's Vocations Retreat down at Camp Crucis, near Granbury. It was a very positive experience (again). But most importantly, on Friday night I appeared before a joint session of our Commission on Ministry and the diocesan Standing Committee and was interviewed for about thirty minutes (as was Chuck Hough, one of our seniors at Nashotah House Seminary). Most of the questions focused on recent events in the national Episcopal church and what we thought about them and our diocese's response to them. In the end both committees voted to endorse our petitions for admission to Candidacy for Holy Orders, and yesterday I received word from Bishop Iker that I have been officially enrolled as a Candidate. Thanks be to God! This means I must now begin preparing in earnest for my Canonical Exams (the priestly equivalent of the Bar exam that my diocese administers instead of ECUSA's General Ordination Exam). I will be sitting for these exams in late January. If I should pass the exams and survive one final set of interviews I will (Lord willing) be ordained a deacon in late February or early March of 2007. (For those not familiar with our polity, one must first serve as a deacon for at least six months before ordination to the presbyterate.)

Second, today I graduate from Clinical Pastoral Education with Baylor Health Care Systems. I cannot say that I "enjoyed" the experience, but it has certainly been useful. I have learned a great deal. And compared to some of the horror stories I have heard, my experience at Baylor was not all that bad. I had a skilled and toughtful supervisor and good peers in my group (two Southern Baptists, two Roman Catholics, and a Presbyterian, surprisingly all males). Baylor Regional Medical Center at Grapevine was a good location to do my on-site clinical hours, and I would commend their "Western Region" program to anyone who is thinking of doing CPE in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

Many thanks to all who have lifted up prayers with regard to my Candidacy process. May God's holy name be praised for the blessings he has showered upon me in these areas, and many others. And may He continue to bless you all.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ecgbert said...

Congratulations!

9:28 AM  
Blogger J. Gordon Anderson said...

That is great news! May God bless you as you prepare for your canonical exams.

9:33 AM  
Blogger The Lemonts said...

Praise God! I will be praying for you my friend.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on both fronts, Randall. It was good to see you last weekend.

Chad

5:23 PM  
Blogger Caelius said...

Euoi, gloria deo, etc., etc.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Fr. Christopher Cantrell SSC said...

Sorry to telescope your time - but Canonicals are usually administered around the Feast of the Epiphany! Get crackin'!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

I'm already at it, Father! Actually, I haven't heard a thing about the nuts and bolts of the exam yet. Anything you care to pass along about structure & format, etc, would be appreciated!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats