Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Monday, November 13, 2006

A Dramatic Reading of "The Antigone" at SVCS

Last Thursday night was Open House at St. Vincent's School. My seventh and eighth grade Western Civilization: Greece classes performed a dramatic reading of The Antigone for the visitors and parents who attended. A good time was had by all, and the students did a fine job.

I am actually quite proud of our Western Civ course. This year the seventh and eighth graders are studying ancient Greece with me, with two and a half hours of class time devoted to the subject each week. (Next year the same grade levels will study ancient Rome.) So far this year we have read The Odyssey and The Antigone together, as well as having regular lectures on ancient Greek history and culture and introductory lessons in classical Greek language, with an emphasis on English vocabulary building. (All my students learned the Greek alphabet by the end of the first week!) Today we start reading Hesiod's Theogony together. In the spring term we will read portions of Plato's Republic and Apology and Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics, as well bits of Herodotus and Thucydides. There will also be a unit on ancient Greek art and architecture.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fun! We're just getting into Agamemnon in my Greek Thought and Lit. section (I'm the TA).

Jay

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats