Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Sunday, September 09, 2007

The time is drawing nigh

It is now less than a week before, God willing, Bishop Iker ordains me into the sacred order of priests. The service will take place at St. Vincent's Cathedral in Bedford, Texas, at 7PM on Friday (Sept. 14th). Yes, that is FRIDAY, not Saturday. And it is at 7 o'clock in the EVENING. (Ordinations so routinely take place in our diocese on Saturday morning [may God bless your new ministry begun yesterday, Fr Hough] that a good number of folks here seem confused about time and date!) Friday is the feast of the Holy Cross. I know the time conflicts with "Friday Night Lights"--Texas high school football--but sometime the calendars of two different religions coincide.) ;-)

St. Vincent's is located just three block south of Airport Freeway on Forest Ridge Drive in Bedford. If there is anyone in the greater north Texas area who has not yet received an invitation and would like to come and pray, please do consider this your invitation.

Your prayers over the next week would be most appreciated. Fr. Ed Byford, a good friend from the diocese of Riverina, New South Wales, Australia, has arrived to lead me in a retreat, during which I will focus my study and prayer on the nature of priestly ministry. We will be at St. Joseph's, an Anglican monastery in Natchez, Mississippi, until Thursday morning. Then we shall race back to prepare for Friday's service and to settle my out-of-town guests in their various motels. May God bless the travel of all those friends who are traveling to Texas for the occasion. I am most grateful for your time and efforts.

May God bless you all, my friends, in the coming week. I covet your prayers.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jacob Hicks said...

Many, many prayers.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems that Laura and I will miss this important event. I never heard from anyone about what I was to do about coming down there, so I take it that I'm not supposed to.

I appreciate the offer to be subdeacon at the Mass, but it just doesn't look like I can (which I'm sure you figured out by now).

I'm not sure when we'll be back to St. Vincent's but I'll be sure to let you know when we do.

In Christ,

Andy

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey TEX!

Lord bless you greatly brother on your ordination to the Priesthood.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Grace and peace

Rev. William Riley

11:03 PM  
Blogger Caelius said...

Glad to hear it. You've been in my prayers for those in Process the last two years and I think you're the first to the Sacred Order of Priests.

The Archdeacon of the Darling is leading your retreat? Well, say hi to him for me. I think he'll like your part of Texas.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Steel said...

Congrats Father! Looking forward to pictures. My prayers are with and for you during this wonderful time in your life and the life of the Church!

3:57 PM  
Blogger J. Gordon Anderson said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to see some pictures. Hope it goes well.

pax,
J. Gordon Anderson+, SSM

1:31 PM  
Blogger MM said...

Praying for you today and looking forward to the big event tonight, Rev Foster!

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randall,

Thinking of you today. For us, today is the feast of the Elevation of the Cross -- a perfect day for an ordination. I'm pasting in some of the hymnography below (from here.)

God bless,

Fr. John S.

---------------

Rejoice, life-bearing Cross:
The invincible weapon of godliness,
the gate of Paradise, the protection of the faithful!
The Cross is the might of the Church
through which corruption is abolished,
through which the power of death is crushed!
The Cross raises us from earth to heaven!
the Cross is the enemy of Satan,
the Cross is the glory of the martyrs,
the Cross is the haven of salvation
which grants the world great mercy!

Rejoice, Cross of the Lord, the banner of joy!
Which frees mankind from the curse and drives away all adversaries.
Our helper, the majesty of leaders, the might of the righteous;
the adornment of priests which drives away all tribulation,
the staff of power which makes us shepherds,
the weapon of peace surrounded by angels,
the divine glory of Christ
which grants the world great mercy!

Rejoice, guide of the blind,
the physician of the sick, the resurrection of the dead,
the power which raises us from corruption!
The precious Cross, by which the curse is destroyed,
incorruption blossoms, and mankind is deified.
By the Cross, the devil is crushed.
Now as we behold your exaltation
we exalt Christ, Who was exalted on you
and we fall in worship before you
freely drawing great mercy!

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats