Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Bishop Iker Replies to PB Schori's Threatening Letter

Bishop Iker has posted his reply to PB Schori on the diocesan website. It may be found here.

Among the more important parts of the letter are the final two paragraphs below. (Hat tip to Stand Firm.)

While I do not wish to meet antagonism with antagonism, I must remind you that 25 years ago this month, the newly formed Diocese of Fort Worth voluntarily voted to enter into union with the General Convention of the Episcopal Church. If circumstances warrant it, we can likewise, by voluntary vote, terminate that relationship. Your aggressive, dictatorial posturing has no place in that decision. Sadly, however, your missive will now be one of the factors that our Convention will consider as we determine the future course of this diocese for the next 25 years and beyond, under God’s grace and guidance.

In closing, let me be very clear. While your threats deeply sadden us, they do not frighten us. We will continue to stand firm for the unchanging truth of the Holy Scriptures and the redeeming Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, whatever the costs. I shall continue to pray for you, as I trust you will pray for me, in the difficult days ahead.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I encourage everyone to really cover this man of God (Bishop Iker) in prayer this week and in the weeks ahead. He and others who are standing firm for the faith will almost certainly come under attack from the enemy (and I'm not talking about KJS). They need all the intercessors they can get at this time.

(On a personal note, it was good to meet you last night, Fr. Randall. :)

2:58 PM  
Blogger Tregonsee said...

Indeed, we too often forget that there is a very real spiritual component to this battle. While the outcome is certain, there are going to be many nasty battles along the way.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Devon W said...

If ever there was a Church leader I could back, it would be Bishop Iker. The more I learn about this current struggle, and the more I see from the Bishop, the more I am glad to have him at the front lines of this battle.

And I agree, we need to keep the prayer support on this strong, because there is a spiritual struggle going on. But we cannot forget that the worldly side of this either. I worry that too many will focus on one or the other, when both sides matter. Even the parishioners need to be aware of the goings on, because we may be called into service in some way. Personally, I hope we are. This is our Church too, and it's our right and blessing to stand with the clergy when called.

But then, I'm a newbie. What do I know? :-)

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no doubt whatsoever that PB Schori and Gene Robinson will go down in church history as being two of the most destructive forces ever to grace the doors of any church. These two individuals have created more havoc, more dissention and more distrust in the past 5 years than anytime in our church history. Once political issues, re-interpretation of the Scriptures and homosexuals became the major focus of church leadership, we lost our focus and our way.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want an eye opener? Go to this site and see what the real story is about Schori and her threats. go to this site:
http://www.virtueonline.org/portal/index.php

Canon Bishop Says National Church Has No Legal Claim To Church Properties

An exclusive interview with the Rt. Rev. William Wantland, the retired Bishop of Eau Claire. Bishop Wantland was bishop of the diocese from 1980 - 1999. He is a canon lawyer and lives with his wife in Oklahoma. He agreed to be interviewed by VirtueOnline about church property lawsuits, a number of which are making their way through various courts in the United States.

By David W. Virtue
www.virtueonline.org
11/26/2007

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats