How would you do in my middle school Philosophy class?
Take a crack at the exam I am giving them this morning. Would you make an "A"?
PHILOSOPHY EXAM: Plato and Aristotle
1. What is the world of “eternal Forms” for Plato and how does it relate to the world we experience with our senses? (15 points)
2. What does Plato think happens when we “learn” something? (10 points)
3. What was the name of the school that Plato founded in Athens? (5 points)
4. What is Aristotle’s theory with regard to “substance” (a.k.a. “essence”) and “accidents”? (15 points)
5. Describe what Aristotle thought the “form” of a thing is. (15 points)
6. How did Plato’s ideas about women differ from those of Aristotle? (10 points)
7. What is the structure of the ideal society in Plato’s “Republic”? (30 points) Discuss the three different classes of people and how the government and the rearing and education of children were supposed to work.
BONUS: In the 13th century A.D. a Christian philosopher named Thomas Aquinas adapted some of Aristotle’s thought to explain what takes place in the Holy Eucharist. Describe this doctrine, using the proper terminology. (up to 10 bonus points available)