Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Of Flowers and April Showers

The flowers appear on the earth,
the time of singing has come,
and the voice of the turtledove
is heard in our land. Song of Solomon 2:12

Down here in Texas the flowers are their most brilliant in April, so the old Yankee saying, "April showers bring May flowers" doesn't quite apply. But check out these lovely photos my father, Randy, took this morning in our courtyard at St. Vincent's. April flowers are lovely in the midst of April showers!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Nice photos!

I think that saying comes from jolly, old England. But I could be wrong. ;)

We've got some lovely iris here at our house too, and we had a short, but sweet bluebonnet shoot with our two grandsons the other day.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Ann Flower said...

Very Beautiful. A walk around your garden could get you into a very nice frame of mind!

4:57 AM  
Blogger Robin G. Jordan said...

Randall,

Delightful pictures.

Spring is always too short. So many gorgeous flowers, so little time. Here in western Kentucky the daffodils, forsythia, and the dog woods have already bloomed and gone. Now the azaleas are in full riot.

One of my old hobbies was photographing wildflowers. All my wild flower slides were lost in Huricane Katrina. Now I just enjoy them whenever and wherever I see them. Texas has such wonderful wildflowers along its highways. Earlier this spring I was roaming the woods and roadsides of Kentucky enjoying the wild daffodils.

What does Canticles say?

"The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land..." (The Song of Solomon 2:12 AV)

And Psalm 103?

"As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth..." (Psalm 103:15 AV)

What did our Lord say?

"...Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these..." (Matthew 6:28-29 AV)

I also put off mowing my lawn as long as I can in the spring so I can enjoy the wild flowers that spring up with the grass after the winter.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats