Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Sermon on the BVM

Andy, our new youth minister at St. Vincent's and the author of All Too Common, has recently re-published a sermon that I preached at the cathedral last August on the feast of the Blessed Virgin Mary. You might find the comments made on his post to be of interest, particularly since some of the commentators there come from the very Reformed end of the Christian spectrum. Please drop by and let me know what you think. Those of you who haven't already read it might also find the essay on Mary that I wrote for our church newsletter last August to be of passing interest.

Extensive treatment is given in the sermon to the Hodegetria icon, a version of which is pictured above.

4 Comments:

Blogger Julian said...

Some of them are less tactful then I'd like, but I stand by my comments at the time and am pleased that others have voiced similar concerns.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Thanks for taking the time to look at the comments, my friend. I hope things are well where you are. God bless you as you go about your ministry there.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Father Lee Nelson, SSC said...

Mr. Foster, it was my distinct pleasure to be there live and in person for this homily. The words still ringing in my ears are "from the moment Mary uttered those fateful words, “Let it be to me according to thy word,” the spiritual landscape of the Universe had changed. Now God and Man actually became One within the Virgin’s womb."

An important point about the icon is that, as you say in the sermon, the icon is believed to have been written by St. Luke himself, an altogether POD fact.

I wonder if there is any connection with his abilities as a physician and those of an iconographer.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Thanks much, Father.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats