Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Sixteenth Century Theology at St. Vincent's

The evening class for adults that I am presently teaching at St. Vincent's is moving along nicely. We are dealing with the English Reformation now. Tonight we covered the reign of Mary Tudor and the early Elizabethan years, looking at the Protestant Eucharistic doctrine of the "Marian martyrs" and "The Apology for the Church of England" by Bishop John Jewel (1561). If you are located in the western part of the DFW Metroplex, please considering joining us next Thursday night at 7:30 PM in St. Vincent's School library. We will be covering the rise of Puritanism and the ministry and martyrdom of St. Edmund Campion next week. The course concludes in two weeks, with a study of writings by Lancelot Andrewes and Richard Hooker.
The image at top was taken by my father, R.D. Foster, tonight. The image at bottom depicts the burning of Latimer and Ridley at Oxford under Mary I.

5 Comments:

Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Jeff, you would be an excellent person to ask--I haven't selected the Andrewes text for two weeks from now yet. I need five or six pages of material that reflects his thought on an important theolgical dispute of the period (preferably on the more Catholic end of things) to discuss with my class. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks much for your help. (Fr Morse, if you read this do you have a suggestion as well?) I perfer to work through primary texts with my class rather than simply lecture, and they seem to like working with the thought of the theologians themselves rather than just listening to me blather for two hours! Pax

12:22 PM  
Blogger Fr Timothy Matkin said...

I've been to that spot in Oxford. There is now an obelisk which is a memorial to the martyrs. Oddly, the memorial is across the street from Pusey House and right next door to St Margaret's--a spiky Anglo-Catholic parish.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Randall,
So, I passed by your old parish on the way to Mass this Sunday, as usual. I took note of the inscription over the crucifix.
I have got to get in there and get some pics soon!
Do you know if the Church is open often? Or just Sundays?
;)

12:33 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

There are daily Masses, ma'am, as well as Morning and Evening Prayer. Unfortunately, I have been gone long enough not to remember the schedule. I will check into it and email the info to you. Pax Christi tecum sit.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Ecgbert said...

There is now an obelisk which is a memorial to the martyrs. Oddly, the memorial is across the street from Pusey House and right next door to St Margaret's--a spiky Anglo-Catholic parish.

Correct. I remember it. But the church is St Mary Magdalen ('Mary Mags').

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats