Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Monday, March 06, 2006

My Plans for the Upcoming Year

Dear friends, I know that many readers of this blog have lifted up my discernment process in their prayers. For that I am truly grateful. Today I have heard back from Bishop Iker, the bishop of Fort Worth, as to plans for my further preparation in the upcoming year.

The plan that the bishop has prescribed takes into account my prior theological and ministerial training. After completing CPE this summer I will remain in the Fort Worth area during the next school year. I will continue my teaching duties at St. Vincent's School while I "read for orders" with a senior priest in our area in preparation for our diocesan canonical exams. I will also undertake an internship next Fall at another parish in our diocese (in order to get a different take on things than I have had at St. Vincent's since June 2004). I will travel up to Nashotah House seminary in Wisconsin for study during the next Epiphany term (January) and the Petertide term of 2007 (summer). These studies at Nashotah House may eventualy become part of an STM degree program.

I think this is an optimal, creative solution to the "problem" of what to do with a postulant who already has eight years of graduate theological education and more than two years of ministry internship under his belt. I am looking forward to these studies very much. Thanks again for all your prayers. God bless.

8 Comments:

Blogger gwb said...

That sounds great. "Creative" and "optimal" seem like good words to describe it. Well done.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Creative?" "Optimal?" Are those euphemisms for, "I don't have to go to Seminary!"

Seriously Randall. I'm happy to hear that your roadmap is becoming more clear. We're going to miss your full-time presence next year at NH, however. Especially on work crew days. ;-)

Chad

1:56 PM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Rather, Chad, its "Yippie, I don't have to go to seminary full-time AGAIN!" Don't forget, sir, I have already "been there, done that" before when it comes to seminary. Not only did I do the "standard" seminary thing for two years at Brite Divinity School in Ft. Worth, but I also "lived in community" with 20+ ministry students in Disciples Divinity House in Chicago for six years while I was doing my doctoral course work in NT and Patristics. Six LONG years! And the joys of rousting oneself out of bed for Morning Prayer at 8AM are well known to me, I assure you. I was the morning doorkeeper of the chapel of the Holy Grail at U of C for several years. In a sense the bishop is just giving me partial "credit for time served." :-)

That being said, I actually probably will be taking an STM degree at Nashotah. The bishop wants me to be there for a Jan term and one summer, so I figure I might as well go up again the following summer and complete an STM with the thesis option (which I gather can be done in two summers of residence). Unfortunately, I don't imagine you and most of the usual community of students will be around in the summer or the Epiphany term of '07. Too bad. It would be nice to spend time with you guys.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randall, Congrats!! What is an STM? AND I'm not so sure that I am happy about an intership in another parish. What other Parish? I may need to glare at the Bishop the next time he is at STVC.

Rudy

4:38 PM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

It looks like I may be at St. Laurence in Grapevine next fall, though the details still need to be worked out. The STM is a "Master of Sacred Theology" degree. I am leaning toward completing it, since I will have done more than half of the necessary coursework to meet my diocesan requirements. See you Sunday, Rudy.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Yippie, I don't have to go to seminary full-time AGAIN!" and "Six LONG years!"

Let's not quibble over the details Randall! My real desire was to see you scubbing dishes in the Refectory and ringing Michael in -4 degree weather and snow up to your knees. That's what seminary is really about! Not all that crazy academic stuff!

Chad

8:08 PM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Trust me, Chad, no one needs to see a morbidly obese man sweating over a steaming Hobart loading ministry students' dishes. Its the sort of thing that could scar you for life! You have a former DDH resident in your first year class there at Nashotah who has seen me do it too many times after communal dinners. She can testify to the fact THAT is NOT a pretty picture! (Think pot-bellied pig in a sauna. :-)) Good luck with your studies, sir. God bless.

8:48 PM  
Blogger J. Gordon Anderson said...

That sounds like a great plan. May the Lord bless you on your journey!

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats