Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Home Again, Home Again

The St. Vincent's School eighth graders, our principal and I made it back home to Texas last night from a fine trip to our nation's captital. I enjoyed myself a great deal, and I think our young folks did as well. Even more importantly, I think we all learned something about our heritage as Americans and our responsibilities as citizens. All are in good health (Thanks be to God!), and we are looking forward to our end-of-year awards assembly at school tomorrow. Thanks for all of your prayers while we were away.

Here are a couple of photos from our journey. The first is a picture of our students and me with the kind and gracious Bob Schieffer of CBS News on the set of "Face the Nation" following the broadcast that we observed from the control booth.
Here are the students and I with Mr. Schieffer and Senator Diane Feinstein of California, the in-studio guest on last Sunday's "Face the Nation", in the Green Room before the broadcast. Finally, here are our kids on the steps of the Capitol. (There were police sharpshooters protecting the Senate while it was in session just to the right of this picture's frame, but they preferred not to be photographed!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Glad you made it back safely and had a productive trip, Tex!
The kids look like they're having a good time in DC.
We didn't burn anything down while you were gone!
;)

12:48 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Thanks for keeping an eye on the store while I was away, Ma. As for enjoying the trip, some of the kids loved every minute of being in Washington--soaked in every word on every tag they saw in the Smithsonian, gaped in awe at the Constitution, were pensive at the memorials, etc. But some were more concerned about swimming in the hotel pool and talking to their boyfriends back home on the phone than learning anything about the Republic and our heritage as Americans. In other words, its was a typical field trip with typical teenagers. Still, I believe most of the kids had a good time. I certainly did. That Lincoln Memorial, boy howdy!

6:56 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Did you all make go to the National Cathedral in D.C. and Arlington Cemetary?

2 of my favorite spots to find some quiet in D.C..

Of course the Smithsonian is worth it just for Fonz's jacket and Mr. Bunker's chair.

Ed from College Station

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats