Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Monday, August 14, 2006

St. Vincent's School Ad

The advertisement for St. Vincent's School above will soon be running in Dallas-Fort Worth area newspapers. I think it looks pretty good. If we must have only one ad for both the lower and upper schools, I think it works pretty well. But my own feeling is that we would be better served to have separate ads for the younger kids and the older ones. (This ad doesn't say "pre-kindergarten" to me!) I also would have preferred an express reference to Christianity in the ad, but there is at least a reference to "the Anglican tradition". You might note that "Cathedral" has been dropped from the school's name in the ad. This is because at least one leading parent at the school thought it might lead to confusion with our neighboring Roman Catholic institutions. (About 30% of our upper school students are in fact RC's, but the area is predominantly conservative Protestant. There was concern about "turning off" some potential enrollees by foregrounding the tie to a cathedral.)

I would be interested in input from readers. What say you?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you Randal, the ad is slick but has a BIG hole concerning God and his church.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randall, Jay here. I like it. For some reason I always compare school ads I see to the ads for military schools in the back of my favorite childhood magazine, "Boy's Life." This one compares favorably. The kid looks happy enough. I wonder if "Anglican" doesn't confuse more than explain. I encounter few people outside the religion "biz" with much of an idea what the word means.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Jacob Hicks said...

I like it, but I agree very much that two adverts would've been better. Indeed, this strikes me as a 'sixth-form college' (high school? 16-18) advert, rather than for children younger than that.

2:21 AM  
Blogger Mimi Catherine Chen said...

why can't thye just put Anglican Catherdal School... makes things much more clearer!

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats