Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Greetings from Snowy Nashotah House

I just wanted to let those who might stop by know why there have been no posts here of late. I am presently taking a January term course at Nashotah House, our seminary in Wisconsin.
The course I am taking is on early Christian exegesis of the Old Testament. It is taught by Fr Patrick Henry Reardon, rector of All Saints' Antiochian Orthodox Church in Chicago and senior editor of Touchstone Magazine. This class and this professor are both spectacular! Truly, this is one of the most impressive courses I have ever taken--and I have been in school a long time, my friends! Fr Reardon must be a phenomenal preacher, based upon his teaching style. He certainly knows his stuff. (Long ago he taught at both Nashotah and Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry in PA. I gather he was chrismated into the Orthodox Church about twenty years ago.) Fr Reardon's presentation of the Biblical material will serve all of our young ordinands well when they take up a cure of souls. So far my time at Nashotah has been a marvelous experience. Even the snow is more pretty than annoying right now! (Photos courtesy of Jeff Stubbs.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Father Lee Nelson, SSC said...

Pictures, pictures, pictures,

Please, please, please...

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randall -

I've been to All Saints' a few times with my friend Kendra, who was received into the Orthodox Church there. Fr. Pat really is amazing, and yes, a wonderful preacher. I had no idea he taught courses like this!

Ian

11:48 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Father, I am afraid I foolishly forgot my camera! So there will be no pictures from me, I am afraid. I will ask around see if anyone took some, and see if I can post them.

Indeed, Ian. It seems Father Reardon actually lectures fairly regularly at Moody Bible Institute, if you can believe it. A large number of his parishioners are former Moody, Trinity Evangelical, and Weaton folks.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

OK, Father Nelson. Jeff Stubbs tooks these photos. I hope this will do for a snowy Nashotah fix!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Continuing Home said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You'll never see lovely scenes like that outside our seminary, St. Joseph of Arimathea in Berserkely, CA.

(Fr. Nelson, what's happened to your blog? Conjectures.../Road.../Worker... has been idle too long!)

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats