Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Mass at St. Vincent's

Tonight the Rt. Rev. Keith Ackerman, bishop of the diocese of Quincy, Illinois, was the preacher and celebrant at our Thanksgiving eve Eucharist. His sermon was an exuberant reflection on the blessings God has given us in creation, and in the gift of his Son Jesus Christ for our salvation. Our family meals tomorrow are reflections of the Great Thanksgiving Meal of the altar. The picture above shows the blessing of the bread for our Thanksgiving feasts by Bishop Ackerman.

May God bless all the readers of this blog and their families with a happy Thanksgiving. And for those who will enjoy the game after their meals: "Go Cowboys!"

4 Comments:

Blogger Devon W said...

It was a fantastic night all around, and the sermon was PERFECT. I am so thankful that I was able to be present for Bishop Ackerman's visit.

We had a Thanksgiving meal tonight after Mass, because Derrick (who you may or may not remember) is going to be alone for the holiday, and I decided he needed a 'family Thanksgiving.' I tried to continue on the spirit that Bishop Ackerman set for the evening, and I think God was with me on it. I asked Derrick to read a Psalm before I said Grace, and as soon as he was done reading one of the cell phones went off with a very exuberant ring tone that reminded me of the old Adam West Batman show. It was hilarious.

I hope you have a good Thanksgiving holiday, and my prayers are with you and your family. Enjoy your trip to the 'hinterlands.'

1:19 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Steel said...

Thank you Father! And a very special thanks for your kind gift that I received email on today towards a chalice and vestments! Thank you, Sir! We miss the traditional Thanksgiving but we are sharing a Thanksgiving with about 100 at our parish on 1 December!

God bless!

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last time I saw that bishop preach he managed to work a dig at Roman Catholics into his Corpus Christi homily and wore little white gloves. Did he wear his little white gloves this time?

Jay

7:01 PM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

No, Jay, he was a mitre and carried a crozier while he preached, but no little white gloves this time!

I hope all continues well with you, sir. God bless.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats