Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Friday, August 07, 2009

My Final Thursday Night Class of the Summer

This photograph was taken Thursday night by my father as I taught the final summer installment of my "Thursday night class" at St. Vincent's Cathedral. The topic of the summer class was "Hollywood and Early Christianity." We watched the fifties classics The Robe and Quo Vadis in forty-five minute installments each week, then discussed ancient sources reflected in each movie for forty-five minutes. The final class session dealt with the big finish of Quo Vadis, then covered the deaths of Gaius Petronius and St. Peter as described in ancient sources, and the final days of the Roman emperor Nero as related by Suetonius. A good time was had by all.

Our next class begins on the first Thursday night in September and will cover the writings known as the Apostolic Fathers, a collection of orthodox Christian writings of the second century A.D. Classes begin in my Middle School classroom, Room 103, at 7:35PM following 7PM Eucharist in St. Mary's Chapel. Everybody come if you can!

The textbook for the Apostolic Fathers class may be procured from Amazon here.

(Three final notes for the observant:
First, yes, I left out an "s" in "presbytery" when I wrote it on the white board. How embarrassing!
Second: I am reading from the Revelation to St. John in the first-rate ESV Study Bible. It is the best study Bible on the market, if you ask me. Get one today! You won't regret it.
Finally, on the wall behind me you will see one of my most treasured possessions--a photograph of my St. Vincent's School kids celebrating with me immediately following my ordination as a priest on Holy Cross Day 2007. They presented me with this signed photo the following week. It meant a great deal to me that so many of the kids not only elected to spend their Friday night at a two hour church service but then stuck around another hour or more at the reception. God bless them all!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Rev. John Slavin said...

Father I love your Blog! I found it while searching for info on the ESV Study Bible. I also think its great! I am the Rector of St Gabriel's Anglican Church in Springdale Arkansas. We are currently on the path to be recieved into the Diocese of Fort Worth. Keep up the great work! My Blog is...http://anglicanapologist.blogspot.com/

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats