Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Awards Assembly at SVCS--the School Year is Over!

Today we had our annual awards assembly at St. Vincent's Cathedral School, ending our 2005-6 school year. Students were recognized for various achievements in academics, athletics and community service. We welcomed the incoming sixth grade class to the Middle School and had a "coming up" ceremony for our present eighth graders, who now qualify as our first High School class--the freshmen of the Class of 2010. I was quite surpised to discover that I had been chosen to receive the Spirit of the Covenant Award, which is St. Vincent's School's version of Teacher of the Year. The winner is selected by the school's corps of teachers. You could have knocked me over with a feather! Not only did the award come with a plaque and a much needed cash prize, but the first graders in our lower school, who know me as the lay chaplain who leads their chapel service twice per week, created a special book of "letters to Mr. Foster." The image below is the cover of that marvelous book. I am deeply honored, and most grateful to the teachers and students of St. Vincent's for their kindness.

6 Comments:

Blogger Julian said...

Cool!


No way did a 1st grader draw that?!?

6:04 PM  
Blogger Mimi Catherine Chen said...

U'd be surprised on what my 1st graders come up with. they draw beter then i do...

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Randall!

I'm glad you had a great ending to a good year.

- Andy

2:54 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Too cute!
Congratulations on 'Teacher of the Year'!
I don't know the other teachers there, and I'm sure they're all fine individuals, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you deserved it.
:)

1:18 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Thanks for all the kind comments, friends. I hesitated to mention this honor on my blog, as it is clearly prideful of me. But to be honest this award means more to me than any other honor I have received in my life. I just had to let someone know about it. Mea culpa.

BTW, Julian, I agree that this cover art is probably not by one of the first graders whose letters are inside the book. I strongly suspect that it is by one of my middle school students, who remained anonymous in order to protect their future grades from me! ;-) Clearly it was drawn from memory with a fair bit of artistic license. Not only does it show me as thinner than I am, but I don't wear a clerical collar with my cassock (we don't do the "seminarian collar" in FW, as a general rule) and that doesn't look very much like my voluminous Old English surplice (frankly, the smallest kids probably think I look like I am going trick-or-treating as a ghost when I process into chapel!). And the sanctuary resembles this drawing only in general terms. Still, it is a noble effort and I shall long treasure it.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congralations, Randall!

img

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats