Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Monday, June 19, 2006

The Diocese of Fort Worth Responds

In response to yesterday's election of Katharine Jefferts Schori as the new Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, the diocese of Fort Worth has issued a statement by Bishop Iker and a request by the Standing Committee of the diocese for "alternative primatial oversight." I am not exactly sure what this "alternative primatial oversight" might mean in practice. Would it essentially shift our diocese out of ECUSA into another province of the world-wide Anglican Communion? Or is it something less than this? Or more (whatever that might be!)? We shall see. Please pray for us, brothers and sisters.

Meanwhile, this piece by Ruth Gledhill (religion corrrespondent of The Times of London) offers an interesting perspective on the Fort Worth appeal. She has also authored an Op-Ed piece that calls for the Archbishop of Canterbury to grant this requested alternative oversight.

4 Comments:

Blogger Caelius said...

Whatever happens, it's probably going to make your ordination process very interesting. You certainly have my prayers. You've been in my thoughts ever since the election.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Anatole Upart said...

I shall be visiting the National Cathedral in DC next weekend, and will pray for the Anglican ark to sail in the right direction, nevermind the damn "weather".

1:30 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Thanks for the prayers, friends. Actually, I rather doubt that much in the day to day life of the diocese of Ft. Worth will change in the next several months, so I am not sure what effect--if anything--the recent events will have on my ordination process. I am still scheduled to meet our COM during our vocations retreat in early August. I assume everything will go ahead as scheduled then. But unhappy times for the entire Anglican Communion are surely in the offing again. Again, thanks for the prayers.

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Diocese of Fort Worth is in my prayers. I hope that cooler heads will prevail and that somehow we will sort this out. I'm beginning to think that the House of Bishops and the American clergy are very good at being political, i.e. living wages, gay rights, social justice, etc., but not very good at politics. While I'm not at odds theologically to see a gay Bishop or a female PB, there really seems to be a lack of tact and forward looking in pressing the issues. It's like a fight with your wife, you can be right or you can enjoy your evening. Can't have both.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats