Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bishop Duncan Preaches at Evensong and the Diocese Honors Bishop Iker

Tonight at St. Vincent's Cathedral a congregation of about 500 people came together for Evensong. The music was spectacular, with the choir of St. Andrew's, Fort Worth, joining the highly-skilled St. Vincent's choir for the occassion. Since this week marks the fifteenth anniversary of the Rt. Rev. Jack Leo Iker's consecration as the third bishop of Fort Worth, this choral Evensong served to honor our bishop's years of ministry as well as to glorify the Most High God. In order to foster both of those ends Bishop Robert Duncan of Pittsburgh, moderator of the Anglican Communion Network and a long-time friend of Bishop Iker, was our preacher. His sermon was both inspiring and amusing. Invoking the "dead cart" in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, for example, Bishop Duncan reminded us all that "I'm not deposed yet!" It was a truly memorable night.

May the Lord grant our good bishop many more years as our chief shepherd. Amen.

The picture above is from our diocesan website. It features Bishops Duncan, Iker, and Wantland (retired bishop of Eau Claire and now our assisting bishop here in Fort Worth).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the sermon video or audio taped or transcribed for the internet?

I'd love to hear/see/or read it.

David Wilson+

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually Father, I thought his second rejointer to the "I'm not deposed yet!" was the best. "And I am feeling quite uninhibited tonight!"
Melody

4:59 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

It was a wonderful evening and I was fortunate to be able to there. God bless Bishop Iker!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats