Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Could You Pass Today's "Intro. to Theology" Exam at St. Vincent's Middle School?

Are you smarter than a thirteen year old? Today my Middle School religion students took part two of their Soteriology exam. (Part one dealt with key New Testament soteriological passages.) How would you do?

1. Characterize liberal soteriology in a short answer.

2. What is the satisfaction theory of atonement? Who is the most prominent theologian associated with it in the Middle Ages?

3. What does the Christus Victor theory say?

4. What was the "founding father" of liberal theology in early nineteenth-century Germany?

You have 45 minutes.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't need 45 minutes. I can tell you in 45 seconds I would totally flunk that exam! :-D

9:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I thought there were enough Scribes, Sadduccees and Pharisees in the modern church already. But breeding them at 13?

The heart of Christ's teaching can be understood by a six year old. This theology test seems to be more about human teaching than Christ's teaching.

Blessings and bliss

3:54 PM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Ah, but Miss Eagle, the exam points out exactly the problem. The liberal and the orthodox disagree fundamentally about what the "heart of Christ's teaching is"! For the liberal, think "Sermon on the Mount." For the orthodox, think John 3:16. Is the "heart" of what Christ was about what He taught or what He did on the cross and at the empty tomb? My middle schoolers at least recognize that there is a debate on that point!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Mark Carter said...

I am fascinated that you would ask them about Christus Victor. I have only recently heard of this view, and find it quite compelling. Is this your view?
Have you heard of the mimetic theory? My priest has not and cannot interact with me about it. I am reading a book by Rene' Girard called "I saw Satan fall like lightning." He writes about the mimetic theory as means of rightly understanding our salvation. He does not propose to be a theologian but his assertions are quite compelling.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats